Round 2 12WBT

Round 2 12WBT
Michelle Bridges 12 WBT Round 2 2nd Place Winner. Before (May 21st 2001 - 108.9kg) and After (August 10th 2011 - 86.5kg)

Tuesday 30 August 2011

12 Week Body Transformation - Wrap-Up of My First Round!

Well.......this post has been a long time coming, but finally I have time to sit down and write it.

So let's recap on where I started out at the beginning or Round 2 of Michelle Bridges' 12 Week Body Transformation, roughly now around 14-15 weeks ago.


I weighed in for my pre-season weight at 108.9kg - the heaviest I had EVER been, and yes, while I might be smiling in this 'before' photo, I knew then that I was not at all happy with how I looked, and I was worried about my health. I was especially also worried about my wedding coming up this November, and how I was going to look, if I was going to find a dress, and how much I would regret looking back on our rather pricey photographs years later and thinking ' what a waste of all that money, to be so unhappy with how I look'.

I had put off joining 12WBT in January, thinking 'I can do it myself', but 4 months later, I hadn't done anything, except maybe put on a few more kilos. In the last few days of registration for Round 2, I decided - 'this is it!'.

For me, once I had made that decision, and said out loud my commitment to Michelle, her program, and to my friends, family, and MYSELF, it was like a light was switched on. I had focus, determination, and I had a goal to work towards! I wanted to become the best version of myself possible!!! Yes there were days when I didn't feel like exercising, but I did it anyway, and I did it as hard as I could. I stuck to the nutrition plan, and didn't once stray from it. I found I had light bulb moments, where, when I said no to a piece of cake or chips, I realised I wasn't resisting saying no, I was actually fine with saying no. I had made the choice to be good to my body, as I want it to last me as long as possible.

About half way through the round, I started saying to myself that I was going to win the competition (which I had only just found out there were actually 'winners'). I didn't really expect to, but I started to think like a winner, and act like a winner. My whole life the hardest thing had always been getting the exercise done, so I just put my head into the place of an athlete every time I worked out, giving it my all, setting myself goals in my training sessions - eg just 5 more laps, or get to 15km, or 1000 cals burnt. This definintely got me through the sessions, and kept me getting up every morning when I was already feeling exhausted.

Week 10 arrived and I made this 3 minute video (which I have posted before) to show all that I had achieved up until that point in the round. Looking back, I still can't believe that this was the change in my lifestly after only 10 weeks!!!


With 2 weeks left of the round, I got really sick with the flu, and tried as much to keep up with my training. I eventually had to have about 4 days off, which really disappointed me as this was right in the last week of the round. It was such a weird feeling to be actually upset about not being able to do my workouts and exercise routine. It felt especially disappointing as rather than being able to really bring home the round strong, it almost fizzled out. I was really happy to still record a loss in Week 12, so I guess it really goes to show that the nutrition still plays a big part in losing weight.

Here is my Week 12 'after' photo!! Note the genuine smile! My finishing weight is 86.5kg - a whole 22.4kg less of me, and a loss of 54.5cm from off my body!!




In addition to the physical changes, I also took almost 2 minutes off my 1km running time trial, as well as increased other ares of my fitness test - my push ups, wall sit, flexibility - and generally feel fitter, less out of breath, and like I have more energy.


Here are my full comparison shots -



After all that hard work, there was one date we were all looking forward to - August 20th. This was the day for our massive group workout with Michelle and the party that night at The Hilton in the city. A chance to see everyone all dressed up and showing off their new bodies! Plus another opportunity to have a photograph with Michelle, and also have her give us one final mindset lesson for the round.

I decided to challenge myself in the training session and go in the Intermediate group. I am glad I did. It was a hard workout, but it felt very satisfying, and the time went so fast! Although everyone was sweaty, hot and sore, everyone had a smile on their face and I am sure could have gone longer if the opportunity was there!

With some of the 12WBT QLD Crew!!
Having fun doing push ups?!!
Ski-Jumps with the Viper!!
At the party, I got a big surprise when my parents were there, and the night got even more surprising a after that!! First they were on stage talking to Michelle's husband Billy about my changes in the 12 weeks, then I was on stage to talk about a big pivotal moment in the 12 weeks, where I discussed setting a big challenge for myself early on, and that I think that set me up for the round as I had proved to myself I could do anything after the 10k kayak challenge. This was after the fabulous Leanne - also from Brisbane - had been up to talk about her 12 week experience.

We were shown a fantastic video of the 12 weeks program, with heaps of video and photos sent in from fellow 12WBTers - it made me feel awesome just watching it, to see the changes everyone has made in their lives. I still get goosebumps watching it again today.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFADP1GnkfM&feature=grec_index

Later in the night, it was time for the awards and presentation. Mish first gave a speech - which I am sure was amazing, but unfortunately there were 4 or 5 REALLY drunk and loud people standing right near me, with their backs to the stage, and I found it really hard to concentrate on what was happening on stage :( Anyway, Michelle announced the winner of the magazine competition - Jo! She has had an amazing transformation, and looked fabulous!! For the regular 12WBT competition, Clinton was the 3rd place winner, and then when announcing the 2nd place winner, all the stats Michelle was reading out were mine - and next thing I knew, I was up on stage again!! 1st place, was the very deserving Mary (aka Splasharama!). Kerri was the winner of the Lean & Strong category - and she sure did look lean and strong! Everyone was very excited and happy, and after posing for some photos, the rest of the night was spent being congratulated and saying hi to lots more new friends from the forums etc. I would like to point out, that although I said I started thinking like a winner throughout the round, I most certainly did not do this for prizes, or status, or to 'win'. The prize to me is being healthier and stronger, and adding years onto my life. The other thing that I am most proud of, is that I have had some lovely emails and messages, from people heavier (and lighter) than my start weight, who are feeling a bit daunted about starting their journey, who have seen some inspiration in what I did, and are telling me they're feeling like they can achieve something for themselves too.

With my beautiful partner, Leonie, as we arrived at the party.
Mary, Kerri, Myself & Clinton
Michelle Bridges & Myself!


Here is a wrap-up video of the night, made at 1.30 in the morning when I got home!! -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaEnrnoQCD0&feature=player_embedded

                          **************************************************
So, 12 weeks on and what have I learned......

I have learned that I am worthy of a healthy body, healthy mind and healthy future.
I have learned I can do more than I give myself credit for.
I have learned that I am strong.
I have learned that preparing and eating healthy, nutritious food is more rewarding than a quick fix from a takeaway store.
I have learned not to give in to my weak inner teenager.
I have learned that life isn't meant to be easy, but that persistance and determination makes it much more rewarding.
I have learned that I am becoming a better version of myself every single day.

I am ready to SMASH Round 3 now. Round 2 is gone. It is a clean slate. In 2 weeks I will take a new set of 'before' photos, my measurements, re-do my fitness test, and start Week 1, Day 1, with thousands of other people across Australia and the world, wondering what my results will be. I have between 16-20 kilos to lose, as I am still deciding what my final goal weight will be. I have set myself new goals for this round, and in the middle of it all, I have my wedding!!

Good luck with all your health and weight loss goals, be it on the 12WBT or something you are doing on your own. I can't wait to share with you (a lot more regularly) the next chapter in my journey to a better me!

xxx

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, Macie. You are a great person to have done this because you are so generous with your time, your words, and how much you share. People coming to you will be well supplied with tips and hints and a friend to talk to. I have a lot to learn from you but I know that I need to be ready to make that full commitment to myself and changing in order to get 'there'. Congratulations. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kate - thank you so much for such a great post. It's great to hear about how much you have learnt from the program and how it felt to have been a winner at the end. As we are getting so close to the start of round 3 I know you are going to be inspirational throughout and can't wait to follow your progress! Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!!!
    That is amazing, what a journey! Keep up the blogging, it's such a wonderful way to look back and see where you've come from and what you went through to get it, I loved your video (the one you made after 10 weeks)!

    You have worked so very hard and deserve to be happy and fabulous!! You should be so proud of yourself!
    tam xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are simply awesome. What a beautiful post. Best wishes for the next round babe. You will smash it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a true inspiration to me. You don't "dress things up" to make them look/feel better but tell it how it is. Yes you won but you put in the hard yards to get there. Now that is what I need to do to get to where I want to be. Thank you for the mindset note as this is where it all begins I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an inspiration. Awesome job. :)

    ReplyDelete